See also NCS Special Awards Winners
- Most Improved Player: Has shown greatest percentage improvement in skill rating, based on April-to-April numerical improvement in RailStation and ratification by Awards Committee. Since juniors and their ratings often improve faster than adults, typically the award is given to an adult. However, a Junior may win in extraordinary circumstances.
- Sportsman and Sportswoman: Has consistently and best displayed the virtues of good sportsmanship and fairness on and off court.
- Junior of the Year: For outstanding performance in tournaments and/or league competition, exemplary sportsmanship, demonstrated leadership, and for having set a good model for Juniors to follow.
- Special Achievement or Community Service: During the past year, had (a) extraordinary success in competition and/or (b) volunteered extraordinary amounts of time, effort and talent in service to NCS in order to accomplish or perform something unique and special for it and its members.
- Lifetime Service: Has contributed time and talent to squash over his or her lifetime and positively and significantly influenced the game and its players.
PROCEDURES FOR NOMINATIONS AND SELECTIONS OF AWARD WINNERS
- At least ONE MONTH before the NCS End of Season Awards Party, Awards Committee Chair requests Committee to get League Team Captains and local Tournament Directors to submit nominations in each category to them, with brief explanations of why the nominees deserve the awards. Captains are to be encouraged to ask their teammates for nominees so as to create the broadest possible survey of players. Note: anyone may nominate players.
- Set deadline for Awards Committee to email all nominees’ information to Committee Chair (with NAMES AND EXPLANATIONS) (allow 7 days to collect information).
- Committee Chair selects candidates who have the greatest number of nominations = “Short List” (2 days).
- Chair submits Short List to Committee for review and requests that they select final candidates (winners) by deadline (3 days).
- After receiving the names of the final candidates, Chair submits the names to NCS Secretary who then submits names to NCS Officers for approval (3 days).
NOTE: Committee Chair SAVES ALL SUPPORTING EXPLANATIONS IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO SAY WHY CANDIDATES WON WHEN AWARDS ARE PRESENTED
- After approval of winners by NCS Board, Chair orders plaques for winners’ names to be engraved two weeks in advance of end of season awards party in order to avoid rush charges on engraving order, correct errors in engraving, and to notify winners far enough in advance so they can plan to receive their awards in person at the party.
- Chair notifies the winners by email, saying (for example), “You have won a Special NCS award! It is important that you attend the NCS end of season awards party on (DATE) so we can present your award to you there”.